- Primary markets :
- ICMA Primary Market Handbook - Home
- Primary market committees
- Primary market topics
- Accounting and auditing
- Collective action clauses
- Conduct of business (MiFID etc...) - primary market aspects
- Dialogue with investors
- Initial disclosure (PD and PRIIPs)
- Market infrastructure and asset servicing
- Market abuse regulation (MAR) - primary market aspects
- Periodic reporting / continuing obligations
- Taxation (Primary markets)
- Primary market products
- Bank capital
- ICMA Euro Commercial Paper
- Green bonds
- Infrastructure financing
- Islamic finance
- Private placements
- Characteristics of ECPP product and market
- The European Corporate Debt Private Placement Market Guide
- Model transaction documentation
- ECPP Working Group
- Press releases
- Retail structured products
- Secondary markets :
- ICMA’s rules and recommendations for the secondary market
- Secondary Market Practices Committee (SMPC) and related Working Groups
- Market liquidity
- Electronic trading
- Secondary markets regulation
- Central Bank corporate bond purchase programmes
- Secondary market initiatives
- Repo and collateral markets :
- Global Master Repurchase Agreement (GMRA)
- ICMA GMRA legal opinions
- Resolution Stays
- ICMA European Repo and Collateral Council (ERCC)
- ICMA ERCC Publications
- ICMA Repo and collateral events calendar
- ICMA ERCC - mailing list subscription
- Securities lending
- Asset management :
- ICMA AMIC Councils and Committees
- AMIC Publications
- Covered bonds
- Specific regulatory issues
- ICMA Private Wealth Management Charter of Quality
- ICMA AMIC archive
- ICMA AMIC Regulatory Update - mailing list subscription
- Green bonds :
- Market infrastructure :
- European Post-Trade Forum (EPTF)
- Past initiatives
- Other projects :
- Brexit :
- ICMA Quarterly Report :
- ICMA Legal & Regulatory Helpdesk :
- ICMA regulatory grid and practical initiatives :
- Contacts :
Find out more about the GMRA
For many years, ICMA has obtained and annually updated legal opinions on the Global Master Repurchase Agreement (1995 & 2000 versions, as well as the 1995 version as amended by the Amendment Agreement to the 1995 version) from numerous jurisdictions worldwide. For more information on GMRA, click here.
2017 GMRA legal opinions
ICMA members were informed about the publication of the 2017 GMRA Opinions in ICMA circular No. 3 dated April 12, 2017.
The 2017 GMRA legal opinions have been obtained by ICMA, for the benefit of ICMA and its members1.
The 2017 GMRA legal opinions cover both the enforceability of the netting provisions of the GMRA as well as the validity of the GMRA as a whole.
Furthermore, the opinions address the issue of recharacterisation risk (in respect of both the transfer of securities and the transfer of margin).
The UK Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA), the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the German Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin) recognise the effect of netting provisions for regulatory capital and large exposure requirements provided, inter alia, that a reasoned legal opinion has been obtained to the effect that, in the event of a legal challenge, the relevant courts and administrative authorities would find that, where a counterparty fails owing to default, bankruptcy, liquidation or any other similar circumstance, the regulated firm’s claims and obligations pursuant to the GMRA would be limited to a net sum under the law of the relevant jurisdiction(s), and which meets certain other requirements. The opinions which ICMA makes available to its members assist them in fulfilling these regulatory requirements. It remains the responsibility of each member individually to ensure that it meets its specific regulatory requirements.
Members must ensure that the specific opinions on which they seek to rely extend to their particular circumstances and satisfy themselves as to the strength of the opinions and the effect of the assumptions and qualifications contained therein.
As in previous years, the opinions have been obtained in a combined format, covering the GMRA on the one hand and the Overseas Securities Lender’s Agreement (October 1994 version), Overseas Securities Lender’s Agreement (December 1995 version), Master Gilt Edged Stock Lending Agreement (1996 versions) and the Global Master Securities Lending Agreement (May 2000, July 2009 and January 2010 versions) (the "SLAs”) on the other (except for the opinions on India, Russia and Slovenia, which are GMRA only opinions) and consist of the following parts:
(i) core opinion covering both the GMRA as well as the SLAs (the “Core Opinion”);
(ii) specific appendix covering the GMRA (the “GMRA part”); and
(iii) specific appendix covering the SLAs (the “SLAs part”).
ICMA makes available to its members the Core Opinion together with the GMRA part.
The Core Opinion together with the SLAs part will be available to ISLA members who are also members of the ISLA Netting Opinion Subscriber Group and accessed via aosphere LLP's website (www.aoslogin.com). For further information contact ISLA at email@example.com.
ICMA members may download the 2017 GMRA legal opinions and, where available, respective blacklines tracking the amendments to the 2016 opinions, by clicking here.
A list of the jurisdications covered by the GMRA legal opinions can be found at the bottom of this page.
1 Whilst associate members of ICMA have access to the ICMA legal opinions, the opinions are not addressed to associate members and therefore they cannot rely on them.